Dewas was formerly the capital of two princely states of British India. The original state was founded in the first half of the 18th century by the brothers Tukaji Rao (senior) and Jivaji Rao (junior), from the Puar clan of Marathas. They had advanced into Malwa with the Maratha Peshwa, Baji Rao, in 1728. The brothers divided the territory among themselves; their descendants ruled as the senior and junior branches of the family. After 1841, each branch ruled his own portion as a separate state, though the lands belonging to each were intimately entangled; in Dewas, the capital town, the two sides of the main street were under different administrations and had different arrangements for water supply and lighting.
The senior branch had an area of 446 sq mi (1,160 km2) and a population of in 62,312 in 1901, while the area of the junior branch was 440 sq mi (1,100 km2) and had a population of 54,904 that same year.Both Dewas states were in the Malwa Agency of the Central India Agency. There were many Jagirdars and Zamindars of the estate; one of them was Zamindar Binjraj Tapdiya from the village Binjana and Sanjay Nagar. On his name only the name of Binjana was kept. He was popularly known as Binjana seth. His eldest son Kisanlal ruled the region under puar dynasty for six decades. After him his son Seth Vallabhdas Tapdiya had ruled the village. They were the biggest Jagirdars in the kingdom of Maharaj Krishnaji Rao III Puar. After India’s independence in 1947, the Rajas of Dewas acceded to India, and their states were integrated into Madhya Bharat, which became a state of India in 1950. In 1956, Madhya Bharat was merged into Madhya Pradesh state.